Tuesday, August 28, 2007

My search continues....

for the perfect dining chair. See, my dining area doesn't lend itself to much room besides the necessities...and so my solution is a similar table like seen below (48" round, possibly White Carrara marble top) with 4 chairs. But sometimes I find myself floundering in the decision making department when it comes to my own home...


so, when seeing this Domino issue about pairing the right chair with your table...I thought, that's it! I'll do a Chinese "Chippendale" chair...maybe with a Josef Frank fabric inspired fabric, and voila we're done!


But, then came along this Miles Redd design (above featured in Domino/Oct '05) with a Ram's Head chair, I thought...maybe we have another candidate on our hands! So what do you think, should I consider the Ram's Head chair for my dining area too (like the one from this Miles Redd design)?

(Nina Griscom home, House and Garden/'06)

To me, it's a classic and timeless chair...definitely not a trend, or is it? What do you think of this chair in general?

( photo by Paul Costello, image via Desire to Inspire)

I love this image! The wallcovering, the chair, the dark hardwood...and the rug too! And I have to say, if I haven't said this before, that Desire to Inspire blog...does just that, always inspires me...so thank you for your great posts!

(Image via Graham and Green)

Not for my dining room, but check out these Ram's Head chairs I found on Graham and Green. Above is a bone-inlay Ram's Head chair with an intricate floral decoration, below is embossed white metal...zoom in to see how much detail is there!

(Image via Graham and Green)

**I'm currently leaning towards the Chinese Chippendale chairs! So if you want to sway me, present a good sale :) and thanks for all you comments!**

13 comments:

The Peak of Chic said...

Hmm. That's a tough call. I love the idea for the table- I'd like to do the same sometime for my kitchen table. The Chippendale chairs are more fun and would look great with the Josef Frank fabric. The rams head chairs are more sophisticated (in a mature way). Oh I don't know! Both would look great!

Brilliant Asylum said...

I love the pairing of an antique chair with a mid-century table. That Miles Redd Dining room is one of my favorites.

Bhavna Bhatnagar said...

I so hear you - it sometimes is so tough to decide for your own home!

I quite like the Chippendale chairs. Graham and Greene chairs are definitely Indian design - though I think given how dressy they are, just one placed against the right background would possibly look good - as a feature chair, rather than dining table chairs...

Leah said...

I think the ram's head/klismos chairs are little more unusual, so I vote for them.

And the white metal one from G&G is to DIE for -- I'm clicking over right now to see how much it costs.

Leah

Anonymous said...

I like the idea of mixing mid century with antique or vinatge. Ask style court, she has amazing taste and loves chairs!
Good luck:)

girl meets glamour said...

That's what I keep thinking POC! These do have completely different feels. Thanks for your comment :)

~Kate

girl meets glamour said...

I completely agree with you Brilliant Asylum, that Miles Redd design is a fav. of mine too!

~Kate

girl meets glamour said...

I likethe Chippendale chairs too Bhavna! I think if you get bored of the color then you can easily change them. Thanks for the comment!

~Kate

girl meets glamour said...

I know, they are unsual Leah and that's partly why I want to use them, probably cause you don't see them all that much. Thanks for the comment!

~Kate

girl meets glamour said...

Thanks Robyn!! You're right Courtney does have great taste :)

~Kate

kim. said...

I have a serious thing for those Chippendale chairs so that's my vote. (And I'm blushing over your comment about desire to inspire - glad we could be of inspiration to you, as your blog is to us!)

Suzy said...

I do like those chairs. I especially love the image of Nina Griscom's home and the one from Paul Costello. I'm sure they'd look great in your dining room.

Anonymous said...

I am going to vote ram's head chair. I love the Chippendale, but the curvature of the ram's head speaks to the round marble table top and base. Plus, though a classic, the Chippendale chair is everywhere at the moment and the ram's head is slightly more unexpected. The Graham & Green inlay chair is gorgeous!