Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Pairing up II

(image via Newlywed Diaries)

One way to really ground a room (like you saw in my last post) and create some symmetry is to pair up on your pieces!! Simple right, but very effective in my eyes...Take this Emma Jane Pilkington design for Ivanka Trump below (that we all love)...


I spy a pair of lamps, side tables, foo dogs, and even pillows with the same fabric...did I miss anything...

Here, just even pairing these yellow ceramic lamps makes a huge impact and adds some drama even...

This is a perfect example of symmetry, not to be confused with boring cause it definitely is not that...just love the balance created with these armoires...

1stDibs is a great place to look for pairs of any kind...you can even just type in "pairs of" and millions of choices will come up, here are a few from my search...(above: top left: regeneration lamps, top right: Gallery 33 mirrors, bottom left: Lawson Fenning side tables and bottom right: Biggs Powell armchairs)

So are you big on pairing up, do you have any other great pairing examples?!?!

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love, love, love the chairs in the first post! And love the mirrors in the last post.

An obvious pair for me is a set of candlesticks. I say that as I sit at my dining room table with 2 huge antique silver candlesticks sitting across from me on the buffet.

my little apartment said...

great post!

i just paired up several things when designing a virtual room from today's 1stDibs...check it out!

http://www.mylittleapartment.blogspot.com/

Jennifer said...

oh I love everything in pairs, but it become I bit much. I read somewhere that a room shouldn't have more than two sets of pairs, and I think that's a pretty good rule of thumb.

Great post, and thanks for the link!

Joanna Goddard said...

love those top chairs!

girl meets glamour said...

Yes, you're right candlesticks are a perfect example!!

~Kate

girl meets glamour said...

Thanks Dean!! I'll have to check out your post!

~Kate

girl meets glamour said...

Jennifer, I think it just depends on the pairs...it worked quite well in Ivanka's apt. but I could see how in certain places that would be a good rule.

~Kate

girl meets glamour said...

Thanks Joanna!!

Style Court said...

love the orange side tables.

TIG said...

Great post, Kate! The chairs in the first image are fantastic, and I really like the dark armoires against the light surroundings in the last image.

Anonymous said...

I have 2 great new Worlds - Away stools/ottomons on ebay right now that are great as a pair in front of a fireplace or used as a coffee table. check under modern stool or under my store name budbluetick.

Jessica Claire said...

I love the yellow lamps from elle decor. So vibrant yet still understated cool